Wearing Loving Tan Deluxe Bronzing Mousse in color Dark
Being the extremely light skinned/pale person I am, getting a tan is no easy gig, so using self tanners is A MUST FOR ME. I hate to admit it, but I have tried tanning beds before (i.e. in high school when everyone seemed to be doing it)… but they never seemed to work, plus I was poor and couldn’t afford to go all the time, PLUS I knew it was super bad for me. So, I STOPPED. After living 3 more painfully pale years without a tan, I decided to give self tanners a go, and wow am I glad I did. My days of being pasty white were finally over. (Although I still have them quite frequently because I’m #lazy and don’t always feel like putting on self tanner). Below are my HOLY GRAIL tanning products that I can’t imagine living without. They won’t break the bank, last for months (depending on how much you use it), and looks natural. What more can you ask for?
Ok guys I did it. I did the one thing I never thought I’d do: I became a beauty product consultant. I was VERY hesitant at first because of some very minor things... ok MAJOR THINGS (LOL) like time, money, and just the fact that I’m not a sales-y gal. So then why did I do it? Because Beautycounter is AMAZING. Not just their products, but their mission. Beautycounter is a beauty product company based out of California that has been around for about 5 years. YUPP ONLY 5 years and it has been booming. In just five short years their products have been featured in countless magazines and had products make it onto Allure’s list of “Best of Beauty.” Just recently, Beautycounter was just found to be the #1 trending beauty brand of 2018. Not only has this brand blown up in the news and our favorite magazines, but it has been making its way into the beauty cabinets and drawers of thousands, including celebrities like Mandy Moore, Lauren Conrad, and Gwenyth Paltrow. So what makes this brand of makeup/skincare better? Below is a little list of why Beautycounter is better for not only for you, but for everyone.
1. Their mission: Get safer products into the hands of everyone. This is their mission and they live by it. They create and distribute safer, high performing cosmetics and skin care products using SAFER ingredients. How do we know they are really safer? Because Beautycounter is transparent about the ingredients they are putting into their products, meaning they are not trying to hide anything from their customers. For example, their products don’t just list the ingredients, but also list whether the ingredient is natural or synthetic so we (the consumer) know exactly what type of ingredient is in our product. Also side note and something that is good to know, just because a product says ”natural” doesn’t mean it’s good for you and just because it says “synthetic” doesn’t mean it’s bad for you.
2. They educate the public about how to avoid harmful ingredients. Let’s go back to when I said I’m NOT a sales person, at all. Like I mean AT ALL. I‘m awkward and hate to be pushy. But this is the thing that drew me to the company. I am a nurse (shoutout to all my nurses out there) and a huge part of what I do is education whether it‘s educating a patient about the dangers of smoking or what medications do what and why they are taking them. The more my patients are educated, the more likely they are to adhere to what I’m telling them to do or not to do. So, the same goes for Beautycounter. Part of their mission is to educate their consumers about the harmful ingredients in beauty products so that they feel more educated and therefore empowered to make better decisions when it comes to picking their products. How do they do this? WELL my friends. (here’s my non-sales-y sales pitch, buckle your seat belt) did you know that the US govenment/FDA do not regulate the ingredients cosmetic/beauty companies put into their products. Here is a line from the FDA government website:
“Neither the law nor FDA regulations require specific tests to demonstrate the safety of individual products or ingredients. The law also does not require cosmetic companies to share their safety information with FDA.”
IM SORRY WHATTTTTTT. This literally means that we are putting the safety of our lives into the hands of cosmetic companies and trusting them to make safe products. No thank you, I don’t buy it. Ok, ok I’m getting preach-y but seriously!!?
Here‘s where my nursing knowledge comes in. The skin is the largest organ of the human body and it’s extremely porous, meaning IT ABSORBS WHATEVER YOU PUT ON IT. So all those harmful ingredients that companies are shoving into their products, yupp, you guessed it, they are all being absorbed into YOUR body. So what does that mean for you? It means that these toxins are entering your body, seeping into your tissues and causing some serious uproar in your body. We are talking hormonal disruption, allergy flare ups, infertility, and even cancer. The list goes on but you get the picture. So, Beautycounter works extremely hard to educate consumers on what harmful ingredients to watch out for, as well as avoids using them in their products (SAFER PRODUCTS) This brings me to my next point.
3. The NEVER LIST. Beautycounter, through research, has come up with a list of approximately 1500 harmful or questionable ingredients that they prohibit from their products. They put this list on their website here, so it is easy for anyone to access it. Even if you are not buying their products, they want people to know what they should be avoiding and WHY. (Just to put things into perspective: Europe is wayyyy ahead of the game and has already banned approximately 1400 harmful ingredients from their products...and the US has only banned 30. We have some serious catching up to do.)
4. They use an Ingredient Selection Process.Which means they practice what they preach. They screen every potential ingredient for health hazards and are constantly reviewing new data to ensure only the best ingredients are used. With this data they set high standards and only choose THE BEST organic, natural, and synthetic ingredients that meet these standards.
5. They advocate at the government level to get safer products into the hands of everyone. Like I mentioned above, the government doesn’t regulate our beauty products. Beautycounter knows that it’s not enough to just try selling and educating the public about their products and the harmful effects of others. People will still choose other products over theirs and they know that’s the reality of the situation. Their mission isn’t about selling product and making millions of dollars, although with any business this is part of it. They are founded on values and want to change the beauty industry so that what we are putting on our bodies is SAFE. They do this by urging the government to pass laws to better regulate the beauty industry so everyone can have peace of mind knowing that whatever beauty products, regardless of brand, they choose to buy and use are SAFE and EFFECTIVE.
The reason I believe beautycounter is better is because it’s not just a business, it’s a movement working toward something bigger and BETTER for everyone. It’s a mission I stand behind and am excited to be a part of because it means I get to do what I love, while trying to create a change that will benefit everyone.